Re: [CCAMP] draft-ietf-ccamp-alarm-module-02

Karen Elisabeth Egede Nielsen <KEE@kamstrup.com> Thu, 20 September 2018 14:20 UTC

From: Karen Elisabeth Egede Nielsen <KEE@kamstrup.com>
To: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
CC: "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>, "stefan@wallan.se" <stefan@wallan.se>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 14:20:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.20.19.187]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] draft-ietf-ccamp-alarm-module-02

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

I hope that you can accept the follow up right below:

* Would it not be relevant in the draft to outline the relation to the alarm-state in RFC8348 ?

** Possibly even in the substance of the document rather then in an appendix  - assuming that the two are seen as complementary mechanisms potentially based on the same underlying alarm framework (that you define in this draft)

** In the draft you have "closed" state of an alarm. Wouldn't it be relevant, in your opinion. with this alarm framework in mind, also to have the closed state in the alarm-state object of RFC8348 ?

* The same question (should be included in alarm-state of RFC8348) for the shelved alarms ?

Something else:

* Assuming that one has an alarm which have no clear  (see next question below) or where clear may not always come.
   Would an operator close of this alarm make it disappear from the active alarms summary ? Can that be an implementation decision  - possibly depending on the alarm type, possibly configurable ?

* RFC3877 has the following statement: "Alarms SHOULD  be modelled so Notifications are sent on alarm Clear."
I did not find this statement in the substance of the draft nor in Appendix F (But it may have escaped me).
Is this also the mindset of this draft ?

* It is correctly understood that the Alarm Summary and the Alarm list contains the alarms which are presently in the system - i.e. which have not been purged ?
  * Would it be relevant for the Alarm Summary list to tell when alarms was last purged due to administrative action ?

* Are you considering to implement support for statistics ?

BR, Karen