Re: [CCAMP] Objective function draft

Julien Meuric <julien.meuric@orange.com> Mon, 17 September 2012 13:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:37:25 +0200
From: Julien Meuric <julien.meuric@orange.com>
To: "George Swallow (swallow)" <swallow@cisco.com>
Cc: "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Objective function draft

Hi George.

Sorry for the late response. You are right: the minutes are not enough
to trace the full discussion (which we also resumed right after the
meeting). Let us start by thanking Adrian (as AD? former PCE co-chair?
author of... ;-) ) for bringing the PCE-associated vocabulary to a
common understanding.

Actually my concern is sustained by 2 points:

1- The scope of the draft is about giving control of the routing
objective function to the client node facing a transport layer. I see
already several existing solution to achieve it:
- a PCEP request from the signaling head node is an option (which is
associated to the advertisement of the supported objectives in PCEP);
- building IGP adjacencies between client and transport edge nodes
(a.k.a. "border model") is another one.
In this context, it do not think extending RSVP-TE for this kind of
application is worth the effort, since the requirement can already be
addressed.

2- There are cases when previous options are ruled out of a given
deployment. I do believe that it is not simply due to protocol
exclusion, but rather to the fact that the SP wants transport routing
decisions to remain entirely within the transport network (in order to
fully leave the routing policy in the hands of people doing the layer
dimensioning). Thus, I feel this trade-off in path selection tuning is
rather unlikely to happen and I fear we may be talking about RSVP-TE
over-engineering here. (That is also why I preferred to consider your
I-Ds separately during the CCAMP meeting.)

However, my comments are mostly related to the client/transport
relationship. If the I-D is extended to cover more use cases with wider
scopes (Adrian has made interesting suggestions), turning the overlay
interconnection into one among a longer list, then my conclusion may be
different.

Regards,

Julien