Re: [CCAMP] WG Last Call: WSON documents - draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Tue, 29 October 2013 18:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:27:18 -0400
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] WG Last Call: WSON documents - draft-ietf-ccamp-rwa-wson-encode

Authors,
	I have some comments on this document. Many are strictly
editorial. Note that I'm the document shepherd, see RFC 4858 for more
information.

- Please address my general comments on the WSON document set

- section 1
   This document makes
   use of the Label Set Field encoding of [Gen-Encode] and refers to it
   as a Wavelength Set Field.
  Why?  Why not just refer to it as Label Set?  Perhaps you mean that a
  Wavelength Set Field is a Label Set Field that MUST carry a label as
  defined in RFC6205?  If so, this needs to be made explicit. (probably
  in a section other than the introduction.)

- section2/3 section alignment with rwa-info
  It's probably a good idea to align naming and ordering wherever
  possible.

- section 2
  1st two paragraphs.  Why does this section try to introduce concepts
  that are defined in 6163 and in [WSON-INFO]?  Is something missing
  from those documents?  If so, at least wson info should be fixed.  If
  not, these paragraphs should be replaced with simple
  terminology/concept references.

- Section 2, same comment WRT TLVs as made on general-constraint-
  encode: The text reads:
   This document defines the following sub-TLVs pertaining to resources
   within an optical node:

   All references to sub-TLVs should dropped, again see related comment
   in my may on general-constraint-encode.  This doesn't hold for
   sub-sub-TLVs, and I'll get to this below.

- Section 3.1
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    | Connectivity  |
  Why is connectivity a byte here, but only a bit in section 2.1?
  Either it should be a bit here to, or section 2.1 should be a byte.
  Note, that this can be fixed in a compatible way by defining it here
  as:
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    |   Reserved  |C|

- Section 4.
  The definitions of sub-sub-TLVs are a bit underspecified.  Some
  specific questions to address:
  - Are there any sub-sub-TLV ordering requirements?
  - How are multiple sub-sub-TLVs of the same type to be handled?
  - What is the sub-sub-TLV header (TL format)?
  - Are there any alignment requirements?
  - What happens when a sub-sub-TLV is larger than 256 bytes?
    (There are already systems that advertise 192 wavelengths on a
    fiber and an application code takes 8 bytes, right? But
    of course this presents a problem when carried within an RSVP
    object too.)

  If you find you need more specifics, we can discuss / I can propose
  new text.  Feel free to discuss the details on or off list (your
  choice.)

- Section 4.1
  Title and 1st sentence don't agree on the element's name.

- Section 3.4, 4.1
  - Bits I & E are defined here, but I & O are used in parallel ways in
    Section 3.2. For consistency it should be I & O everywhere (to
    match input and output).

- Section 4.2.1
  s/[ITU-G.695.1]/[ITU-G.695]

- Section 4.2.2, 4.2.3
  Why do you use bit names that are different than the ITU-T
  definitions for p and s (rather than D and F)?

WRT Section 8:
-  [RFC3471] is an informative reference.
- [Gen-Encode] needs to be normative, this document reuses its definitions.
- I'm surprised  [WSON-Info] is informative (and not normative).  Do you
think this is correct?

That's it on this one,
Lou