Re: [CCAMP] draft-wright-ccamp-op-policy-prot-links

Ben Wright <Ben.Wright@metaswitch.com> Wed, 10 July 2013 08:18 UTC

From: Ben Wright <Ben.Wright@metaswitch.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "draft-wright-ccamp-op-policy-prot-links@tools.ietf.org" <draft-wright-ccamp-op-policy-prot-links@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 08:18:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.18.34.181]
Cc: "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] draft-wright-ccamp-op-policy-prot-links

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your input.

On point 1, this is likely to be controlled by carrier policy.  There are a couple of use cases for this.

- Some carriers have policies which mean they are prepared to let some services traverse a link which is temporarily protection-impaired, with the assumption that the link will be repaired at some point.

- Carrier policy can choose to place some services (for which no protection is required) over a protection-impaired link but avoid using that link for other less-valuable services.  This prevents less valuable services using resources on links which, if repaired, could be used to carry protected traffic.

Are these the sort of deployment example you were thinking of?  I can add these details to the I-D if that helps?

On point 2, thanks for pointing me at RFC4783.  I think that solves the issue - the node detecting a failure could use error value protectionPathFailure (60) to signal the fault and clear that when the fault condition clears.  You are correct that we could also run end-to-end OAM on the LSP, but that was not necessarily going to be available for some of the cases I was considering.

Cheers,

Ben