Re: [CCAMP] Generalized Labels for the Flexi-Grid in LSC Label Switching Routers

Iftekhar Hussain <IHussain@infinera.com> Mon, 03 February 2014 07:15 UTC

From: Iftekhar Hussain <IHussain@infinera.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, Daniel King <daniel@olddog.co.uk>, 'CCAMP' <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 07:15:02 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.100.96.93]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Generalized Labels for the Flexi-Grid in LSC Label Switching Routers

Lou,

 Understood. All powers to the process.

 I felt that there is  insufficient use cases/requirements discussion/coverage in the framework document at this moment. We need more active discussion inputs from wider CCAMP group. Otherwise, I don't see why we have not been looking at the solution documents for a long time.

If we are ready to look at solutions in the Flexible Grid area, the authors of the IDs ("Generalized Label for Super-Channel Assignment on Flexible Grid" and
"OSPFTE extension to support GMPLS for Flex Grid") are  planning to make updates (possibly before the next IETF):

a)  Terminology alignment (replace the term "Super-Channel" with an appropriate alternate term/definition based on last IETF meeting discussion)
b)  Clearly separate out the label solution draft into a "single frequency slot" and "multiple frequency slots" cases. Note the single frequency slot case is in alignment with ITU frequency slot (m,n) definitions except  m field is 16-bit field).
c) Some terminology related updates in the OSPF draft. BTW, we believe, this is one of the earliest solution drafts for flexgrid related OSPF extensions.

We also would like to solicit feedback from the working and the next steps for these drafts.

Best regards,
Iftekhar