Re: [CCAMP] Objective function draft

Gert Grammel <ggrammel@juniper.net> Wed, 19 September 2012 07:17 UTC

From: Gert Grammel <ggrammel@juniper.net>
To: "JP Vasseur (jvasseur)" <jvasseur@cisco.com>, Julien Meuric <julien.meuric@orange.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:14:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [193.110.54.36]
Cc: "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Objective function draft

Hi Julien,

Most of the discussions about UNI/ENNI are confusing. Let's start with the remark that UNI/ENNI are terms defined in G.709 and do not relate to layers. They are reference points. You can think to place them in the middle of the fiber between a router and a ROADM. Since it is just fiber, it is pretty clear that no layer crossing is happening there.
In IETF we have the overlay concept which also doesn't relate to layers but to an administrative domain. Hence an operator can choose to place a 'GMPLS-UNI' where he wants.
Admittedly common wisdom places UNI as inter-layer communication and here is where confusion starts. AFAIK the terms UNI-C and UNI-N as well as the notion of a 'UNI-protocol' have been brought up in OIF. For whatever it is or was, initial UNI was from SDH/SONET client to SDH/SONET server, hence again no layer crossing even at the protocol level.

If different layer switching is involved on both sides of an interface, the best reference is RFC5212 (requirements) and RFC6001. They define a consistent multi-layer switching and adaptation model.

So in order to stay inside a consistent terminology we decided to go strictly with IETF terminology. That's the best we can do for now.

To your points:
- the routing task involves both the IGP and the signaling protocol, especially in case of loose hops or crankbacks;
--> what you mean with routing task? Is it the routing process itself or something more?

- the objective function only makes sense per LSP, which allows to consider it in LSP-related protocols (PCEP, RSVP-TE... as opposed to IGPs or LMP).
--> an objective function could make sense per LSP if routing information is insufficient. It starts with the assumption that a router down the road may be able to find a better path than what the ingress router does. Given that the ingress has no means to verify if the objective has been followed this may turn out to become a debugging nightmare.

Gert

I an completely sharing Julien's point of view.

JP Vasseur
Cisco Fellow

Sent from my iPhone