Re: [CCAMP] Input on publication track of WSON solutions documents

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Tue, 16 October 2012 22:11 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:11:22 -0400
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: "Ong, Lyndon" <Lyong@Ciena.com>
Cc: CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Input on publication track of WSON solutions documents

Lyndon,
	As I stated in my mail, we also would have preferred public
disclosure. But, we certainly can't compel folks to disclose their
company information outside of IETF IPR rules, which does NOT cover
implementation status.  Anatomizing implementation status does have
precedent in the IETF, for example see
draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-survey.

The purpose of the thread was to solicit input *to the WG chairs* on
if, we in our role as as document shepherds, could justify recommending
progressing the drafts according to the WG's position that these
documents be published on the standards track.  We believe we have
sufficient information to answer this question. The routing ADs and
IESG can of course challenge this position, as they have in the past.
We now know how to respond, i.e., there are multiple reported
implementations.  We didn't prior to this discussion.

WRT your other questions, we as a WG have not typically asked for
or obtained such information prior to submitting a publication request
to the IESG for Proposed Standard.  This is well established practice
for at least this WG.  I certainly would expected that we would need to
obtain such information for publication requests for documents with
more advanced standards track maturity levels.

I hope this addresses your questions.

Lou