Re: [CCAMP] Closing G.709 open issues

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Thu, 09 May 2013 17:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 13:21:03 -0400
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>
Cc: "draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-signaling-g709v3@tools.ietf.org>, CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ccamp-otn-g709-info-model@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ccamp-otn-g709-info-model@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Closing G.709 open issues

Daniele,
	Please see below:

On 5/9/2013 12:57 PM, Daniele Ceccarelli wrote:
> Hi Lou,
>
> Wrt point 1) (TSG) we have 2 options.
>
> 1. leave the TSG being inferred by the label length and propose new text (see below).
> 2. add the TSG to the label.
>
> Either solutions work for me, i just want to share some thoughts raised during discussions with Sergio and Fred.
> A. From an implementation point of view, in case of multi-stage muxing multiple label lookups are needed to infer the TSG
> B. Future proofness: we all know that TSG=10Gbps will be defined shorthly. This might make the TSG infer from label length not feasible.

Sigh, I keep thinking we're "almost done" on 709 and another discussion
pops up...

So this is at least the third time we're discussing options 1 and 2.  In
the prior times, we've always agreed to follow 1.  So I'll quote myself,
from the last time around:
   Revising past decisions is fine if there's good cause, such as new
   information or issues identified/discovered...

So let me ask, is there good cause to revisit this decision?

> Again, for me both solutions 1. and 2. work, A. And B. might not be major issues.
>
> In case we go for 1. my proposed text is (feel free to amend):
>
> "Please note that the TSG of the HO ODUk can be inferred from the length of the label.
> In those cases where there is no LMP imposing the TSG to be used between two ends of a link,
> Such information can be inferred from the signaling. E.g. In a HO ODU link a label lenght value
> Of 4 would indicate TSG equal to 2,5Gbps while a value of 8 would correspond to a 1.25Gbps TSG".

Continuing in the case of 1, but how about:

  Please note that the TS granularity of a HO ODUk can be inferred from
  the length of the label. The values of 1, 4 and 16 indicate a TS
  granularity of 2.5Gps, while the values 2, 7, 32 and 80 indicate a TS
  granularity of 1.25Gps.

Note that I added the length value of 1 based on the table on page 7 of
the framework draft, but 1 isn't listed as a valid length value.  One of
these is wrong. (I didn't spend the time to figure out if the 1 needs to
be added to valid list or should be dropped from the suggested text.
Figured one of the authors would know this.)

Thanks,
Lou

> BR
> Daniele

>>> 2) Hold a 2nd LC to ensure consensus on all changes since the 1st LC