Re: [CCAMP] review of draft-ietf-ccamp-alarm-module-01

"BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com> Fri, 10 August 2018 19:18 UTC

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com>
To: tom petch <ietfc@btconnect.com>, stefan vallin <stefan@wallan.se>
CC: "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 19:17:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.16.234.232]
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] review of draft-ietf-ccamp-alarm-module-01

Stefan, Authors,

I've been reviewing the SG15 liaison and your draft, as we'll need to respond in about a month to SG15. Similar to Tom, SG15 is confused on terms of reference/prior standards relationship. While the abstract says "carefully maps to relevant alarm standards", there's no direct references. In the document, it also has a sentence "based on experience from using and implementing available alarm standards". So it is not clear if this work is based on standards or "experience implementing".

During the microwave yang review, a similar concern was raised, and it was decided to clearly identify which standard is being referenced. Recommend the same should be done here. It's ok you have included "vendor implementations of alarm standards". But you need to clearly identify.

There's a sentence in the abstract of draft-ietf-netmod-intf-ext-yang which may help here:
"These properties are common to many types of interfaces on network routers and switches and are implemented by multiple network equipment vendors with similar semantics, even though some of the features are not formally defined in any published standard."
And:
" Several of the augmentations defined here are not backed by any formal standard specification.  Instead, they are for features that are commonly implemented in equivalent ways by multiple independent network equipment vendors.  The aim of this draft is to define common paths and leaves for the configuration of these equivalent features in a uniform way, making it easier for users of the YANG model to access these features in a vendor independent way.  Where necessary, a description of the expected behavior is also provided with the aim of ensuring vendors implementations are consistent with the specified behaviour."

Similar to the intf-ext, it will be important to allow implementors the flexibility to choose which specific parts of the model they support, and to allow in the future supporting other standards (G.7710). It would help to include a few sentences in the draft on how this can be done.

Once we have a cleaner document, I'm recommending to liaison with the SDOs which you reference, ITU-T, 3GPP (and BBF in response to their earlier liaison). Hopefully with these clarifications, it will be an easier read by these other groups.

Thanks Tom and Qin for reviewing -

Thanks Authors for continuing the dialogue- as with any solution document, the solution stabilizes, then need to clean up the description text😊

Deborah
(AD hat on)