Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd question)

Igor Bryskin <i_bryskin@yahoo.com> Tue, 02 September 2008 22:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 15:06:17 -0700
From: Igor Bryskin <i_bryskin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] BGP TE attr last call by softwires WG (2nd question)
To: "Drake, John E" <John.E.Drake2@boeing.com>, Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, ccamp@ops.ietf.org, softwires@ietf.org
Sender: owner-ccamp@ops.ietf.org

Hi John,

I understand what you are saying and disagree. The overlay I am talking about logically is a separate network and as any network it should be sufficiently redundant to function. There is a number of ways how you can address the redundancy concerns. Look at the examples below:

a) interconnect all VPN-aware PEs into a single ring:
PE=======PE
 ||                  ||
PE               PE
 ||                   ||
PE               PE
||                   ||
PE=======PE

b) connect each PE to two interconnected Ps

PE               P                 PE
PE               ||                  PE
PE               ||                  PE
PE               P                 PE

Note that tunnels can traverse any number of VPN-unaware Ps and PEs.

Igor