Re: [CCAMP] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-berger-ccamp-swcaps-update-00.txt

Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com> Tue, 28 February 2012 11:10 UTC

From: Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, "jdrake@juniper.net" <jdrake@juniper.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:10:46 +0100
acceptlanguage: it-IT, en-US
Cc: CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-berger-ccamp-swcaps-update-00.txt

Lou,

Comments to your previous replies in line and a further consideration here:

What i'm really interested in is not loosing the pieces of information that have been added to the OTN SCSI (muxing hierarchies and relationship between the various layers) and the introduction of the ILH as currently defined does not affect it, so i'm not against it.
Nevertheless i find no reason to be in favour of it because, as John does, can't really see any advantage it introduces or any problem it solves. Could you please explain what is the rationale behind introducing it?

Thanks,
Daniele

OK, what i mean is that, given that SDH uses SC=100 and OTN uses SC=101, the OTN draft is already compliant to what is stated here.

>>> The text currently provides the following example:
>>>  For example, Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) technologies that
>>> have different multiplexing structures should use two different
>>> Switching Types.
>>>
>>> Is this not sufficiently clear?  Can you suggest some
>clarifying text
>>> as I'm not sure what else to say?
>>
>> What was not clear to me was whether you were referring to:
>> 1. different muxing technology between SDH and OTN 2.
>different muxing
>> technology within SDH or within OTN.
>> In case 2. different OTN muxing hierarchies (e.g. ODU1->ODU2
>and ODU1->ODU3)should have a different Switching Type for each
>muxing hierarchy.
>> I assume you were refering to case 1. and suggest the following text:
>
>So I interpret this as not liking the phrase "multiplexing structures".
> I took this term from ITU-T documents.  For example, take a
>look at Page 8 of G.707 pr page 16 of G.709, both show
>"Multiplexing structure", which are clearly not shared.  I
>think it's beneficial to reuse the terminology used in the
>definitions of the data plane, rather than try to come up with
>something new.

It might be misleading for me, but once that it is clear that different ultiplexing structure means intertechnology structures and not intratechnology ones i agree on keeping alignment with ITU-T docs.

>> OLD:
>>    For example, Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) technologies that
>>    have different multiplexing structures should use two different
>>    Switching Types.
>> NEW:
>>    For example, different Time Division Multiplexing (TDM)
>technologies
>>    should use different Switching Types.
>
>How about:
>   For example, Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) technologies that
>   have different multiplexing structures, such as SDH [G.707] and
>   OTN [G.709], should use two different Switching Types.

OK

> [...]
>>>    indicate different Switching Capability specific information
>>>    field formats.
>>> NEW:
>>>    As the format of the Switching Capability specific information
>>>    field is dependent on the value of this field, a different
>>>    Switching Type value MUST be used to differentiate between
>>> different
>>>    Switching Capability specific information field formats.
>>
>> Perfect
>>

>>> This doesn't mean that two technologies (and two Switching Type
>>> value) can't share the same SCSI format.  Just that when there are
>>> two SCSI formats, two different Switching Types must be used.  This
>>> is already an implicit requirement in [RFC4203] and [RFC5307].

>considering the OTN
>instead of
>>> 1 ISCD for each "muxing hierarchy" as it is now stated in
>>> draft-ospf-g709v3. Is my understanding correct?
>>>>

>>> Given that maturity level of this (our) draft, I would not
>>> recommend any changes to gmpls-ospf-g709v3 at this time.
>>>
>>> That said, if you want to use gmpls-ospf-g709v3 as an example,
>>> ILH would be set to match the Signal Type of the #stages=0 TLV
>>> carried in the ISCD/SCSI.  As I read the gmpls-ospf-g709v3,
>>> gmpls-ospf-g709v3 already precludes the advertisement of
>>> different Signal Type at the #stages=0 in the same ISCD, so
>>> there would be no change in number of advertised ISCDs due to
>>> the use of ILH field in this example.
>>
>> Again a misunderstanding from my side, but i think it is
>worth spending few more words to identify the meaning of the ILH.
>>
>> A suggestion:
>>
>> OLD:
>>    In order to support hierarchical switching within a
>particular data
>>    plane technology in routing, this section defines a Intra-Layer
>>    Hierarchy, or ILH, field.  This field allows for
>representation of up
>>    to 15 layers of hierarchical switching.  The ILH field is
>carried in
>>    a portion of the previously defined reserved field of the
>Interface
>>    Switching Capability Descriptor and has the following format:
>>
>> NEW:
>>    In order to support hierarchical switching within a
>particular data
>>    plane technology in routing, this section defines a Intra-Layer
>>    Hierarchy, or ILH, field.  This field allows for
>representation of up
>>    to 15 layers of hierarchical switching.  The ILH field
>represent the
>>    bottom most layer of the multiplexing hierarchy and is carried in
>>    a portion of the previously defined reserved field of the
>Interface
>>    Switching Capability Descriptor and has the following format:
>>

>How about:
>  ... This field allows for
>  representation of up to 15 layers of hierarchical switching.  It,
>  for example, can represent the bottom most layer of a
>  multiplexing hierarchy.  The ILH field is carried...

Ok, but the comment on its usefulness still needs to be addressed.