[CCAMP] Transponder Attributes Consideration//Re: Summary of the CCAMP meeting on Optical Impairment Topology YANG model

Zhenghaomian <zhenghaomian@huawei.com> Mon, 30 March 2020 09:46 UTC

From: Zhenghaomian <zhenghaomian@huawei.com>
To: Daniele Ceccarelli <daniele.ceccarelli@ericsson.com>, Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>, "Belotti, Sergio (Nokia - IT/Vimercate)" <sergio.belotti@nokia.com>, "Beller, Dieter (Nokia - DE/Stuttgart)" <dieter.beller@nokia.com>, "esther.lerouzic@orange.com" <esther.lerouzic@orange.com>, "julien.meuric@orange.com" <julien.meuric@orange.com>, "Griseri, Enrico (Nokia - IT/Vimercate)" <enrico.griseri@nokia.com>, "Kelly, Colin (Nokia - CA/Ottawa)" <colin.kelly@nokia.com>, "Gabriele Maria Galimberti (ggalimbe)" <ggalimbe@cisco.com>, " (ggrammel@juniper.net)" <ggrammel@juniper.net>, Aihua Guo <aihuaguo@futurewei.com>
CC: Fatai Zhang <zhangfatai@huawei.com>, CCAMP <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 09:43:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.124.85]
Subject: [CCAMP] Transponder Attributes Consideration//Re: Summary of the CCAMP meeting on Optical Impairment Topology YANG model

Hi, All,

Thanks for raising the point on transponder modeling.

Yes there are some transponder-related properties in the current versions of ietf-layer0-types, which are not used in first-cluster modules a) b) c) d), and are used in impairment. It is quite challenging to perfectly ‘splitting’ the parameters among multiple modules, as they may be imported in multiple places in future, which is hard to predict.

Personally I am writing the following proposals, which looks feasible at the time being.

-          Remove the transponder properties from ietf-layer0-types, as they are not used in the first cluster;

-          Currently the transponder properties are used in ietf-optical-impairment-topology, so I suggest to create a separate module in the work to model the transponder. The module should be orthogonal to ietf-layer0-types, i.e., they are complementary of each other. Regarding the name of module, it can be something like ‘ietf-transponder-types’;

-          If we do the two steps above, there may be argument in future on a certain attribute saying ‘does it belong to ietf-layer0-types or ietf-transponder-types’? We should avoid duplicating the attributes in both modules, especially with different semantic meaning;

-          Again, the principle on judging parameters (to be or not to be in the above modules) should be alignment with ITU-T data plane specifications.

Hopefully these proposal can trigger some discussions:)

My 2 cents,
Haomian