[CCAMP] Gen-Art LC review draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709v3-09

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Fri, 11 October 2013 15:16 UTC

Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:16:09 -0500
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: General Area Review Team <gen-art@ietf.org>, ccamp@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709v3@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [CCAMP] Gen-Art LC review draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709v3-09

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ospf-g709v3-09
Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review Date: 11-Oct-2013
IETF LC End Date: 16-Oct-2013
IESG Telechat date: Not yet scheduled for a telechat

that should be fixed before publication.

This document is dense (as in it puts a lot of information in a small
number of characters), but it reads clearly.
I did not carefully review the contents of the example fields for
editorial mistakes - please be sure someone in the group has done that.

The largest issue I see is on the border of being more than a nit. I'm
calling it a nit because it should be very easy to fix:
The sentence "Same type of modification needs to applied to the
IANA-GMPLS-TC-MIB at
https://www.iana.org/assignments/ianagmplstc-mib/ianagmplstc-mib" is not
sufficient instruction to IANA to cause that registry to be modified.
Please provide more precise
instructions as to how this mib should change.

I note also that the value 40 from RFC6060 didn't make it into the mib.

The rest of these are more nitty nits:

---
In section 4, I think you've repeated a MUST, and risk introducing
confusion.
It's awkward to point to this with paragraph numbers because of the
interspersed tables, so I'll quote the relevant block:

    When supporting the extensions defined in this document, the
    Switching Capability and Encoding values MUST be used as follows:

    - Switching Capability = OTN-TDM
    - Encoding Type = G.709 ODUk (Digital Path) as defined in [RFC4328]

    Both for fixed and flexible ODUs the same switching type and encoding
    values MUST be used.

If I read that correctly , those are the same MUST and you're saying
it's a MUST no matter whether you're talking about fixed or flexible ODUs.
If that's correct I suggest replacing this with:

    When supporting the extensions defined in this document, for both
    fixed and flexible ODUs, the Switching Capability and Encoding values
    MUST be used as follows:

    - Switching Capability = OTN-TDM
    - Encoding Type = G.709 ODUk (Digital Path) as defined in [RFC4328]

(or leave out the fixed and flexible clarification altogether - I would
not have been confused without it).

---

In section 8.2, where you say "IANA will create and maintain a new
registry", I suggest you say "new sub-registry".

RjS