Re: [CCAMP] AD review of draft-ietf-ccamp-swcaps-update

t.petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> Thu, 22 August 2013 17:23 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, adrian@olddog.co.uk
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:21:27 +0100
Cc: draft-ietf-ccamp-swcaps-update.all@tools.ietf.org, ccamp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [CCAMP] AD review of draft-ietf-ccamp-swcaps-update

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Berger" <lberger@labn.net>
To: <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Cc: <draft-ietf-ccamp-swcaps-update.all@tools.ietf.org>;
<ccamp@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:25 PM

https://www.iana.org/assignments/ianagmplstc-mib/ianagmplstc-mib.xhtml

> > Possibly you should refer to it as IANA-GMPLS-TC-MIB rather than
through
> > the URL.
> The proposed text to be added to the end of the section is:
>
>    A parallel change to IANA-GMPLS-TC-MIB is also required. In
>    particular, under IANAGmplsSwitchingTypeTC a reference to this
>    document should be added as item 3. Also the following changes
should
>    be made to the related values:
>
>           deprecated(2),      -- Deprecated
>           deprecated(3),      -- Deprecated
>           deprecated(4),      -- Deprecated

Mmmmm RFC4181 says

"Therefore, labels of named numbers and named
  bits MUST NOT be changed when revising IETF MIB modules (except to
  correct typographical errors), and they SHOULD NOT be changed when
  revising enterprise MIB modules.
"

so I do not think that you can do that.  Change of STATUS (which applies
to the whole TC) yes, label no. (Don't you love SNMP?)

Tom Petch

> > ---
> >
> > I would prefer if t
he message formats were left out of section 1.1.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/gmpls-sig-parameters/gmpls-sig-
> >       parameters.xml
> >
> >    For routing, a common information element is defined to carry
> >    switching type values for both OSPF and IS-IS routing protocols
in
> >    [RFC4202].  Per [RFC4202], switching type values are carried in a
> >    Switching Capability (Switching Cap) field in an Interface
Switching
> >    Capability Descriptor.  This information shares a common
formatting
> >    in both OSPF, as defined by [RFC4203], and in IS-IS, as defined
by
> >    [RFC5307].
> >
> >    Similarly, the Switching Type field is defined as part of a
common
> >    format for use by GMPLS signaling protocols in [RFC3471] and is
used
> >    by [RFC3473].
> >
> > ...and delete the rest without damaging the document.
> >
> > My concern, as usual, is that copying normative material leads to
the
> > risk of error, and creates problems if material has to be revised.
It
> > is perfectly fine to reference it in nearly every case.
> >
> > ---
>
> While I agree with the sentiment 100% in normative text, this section
is
> informative and labeled as such. I just don't see there being any risk
> of poor implementation as a result of this section. I do think it
would
> diminish the value of the section if the text was removed.  That said,
> if you felt strongly about this I'd revisit the point.
> >
> > Section 2.3...
> >
> >       These values SHOULD NOT be treated as reserved values, i.e.,
> >       SHOULD NOT be generated and SHOULD be ignored upon receipt.
> >
> > But in 3473...
> >
> >    Nodes MUST verify that the type indicated in the Switching Type
> >    parameter is supported on the corresponding incoming interface.
If