[CDNi] Protocol Action: 'CDNI Logging Interface' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-cdni-logging-27.txt)

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Thu, 09 June 2016 14:52 UTC

From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 07:52:34 -0700
Cc: draft-ietf-cdni-logging@ietf.org, cdni-chairs@ietf.org, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, cdni@ietf.org
Subject: [CDNi] Protocol Action: 'CDNI Logging Interface' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-cdni-logging-27.txt)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'CDNI Logging Interface'
  (draft-ietf-cdni-logging-27.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Content Delivery Networks
Interconnection Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell, Alissa Cooper
and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-logging/

Technical Summary

   This memo specifies the Logging interface between a
   downstream CDN (dCDN) and an upstream CDN (uCDN)
   that are interconnected as per the CDN Interconnection
   (CDNI) framework.  First, it describes a reference model
   for CDNI logging.  Then, it specifies the CDNI Logging File
   format and the actual protocol for exchange of CDNI Logging Files.

Working Group Summary

   We had a lot of discussion regarding the security of the logging files,
   specifically as it relates to non-repudiation.  Originally, the logging
   draft had text regarding non-repudiation, but later we determined
   non-repudiation was not as mature of a solution relative the rest of
   the logging draft and there was other work regarding non-repudiation
   occurring in the IETF.  We decided to remove all references to
   non-repudiation for the following reasons:  1) Avoid the potential
   of defining anything for non-repudiation within CDNi and creating a
   conflict with other IETF work; 2) the requirement for non-repudiation
   was not a critical requirement for the logging draft.

   Recently, we had discussion and debate over which drafts should
   define the advertisement of capabilities (I.e., what logging fields
   are required to be supported).  This was specifically related to the
   Footprint and Capabilities Interface (FCI) draft
   (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cdni-footprint-capabilities-semantics-04).
   Ideally, capability advertisement would be defined with the interfaces
   themselves, but the FCI draft is not as mature as this (and other drafts).
   As a result of vigorous discussion, we decided to remove a placeholder
   for the FCI advertisement information from the logging draft.  In the
   future, the FCI draft will define the template for FCI objects and a registry
   for FCI objects.  We will publish a separate RFC for capability
   advertisement for the logging interface.  We determined this approach
   as the best trade-off between draft publish expediency and necessary functionality.

Document Quality

   CDNI interfaces are still mostly in prototypes with plans for production support.
   Vendors, such as Cisco and Alcatel-Lucent, continue to progress the
   development and testing of the CDNI solution space, including the logging draft.

   Due to the Ops nature of this draft, we requested and received a thorough review
   from an expert in this area, David Harrington.  We discussed and included
   necessary changes based on this review.

Personnel

   Daryl Malas (co-chair of CDNI) is the document shepherd, and Spencer Dawkins
   is the responsible Area Director.