Re: [Cellar] Call for adoption of three new WG items

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 31 May 2018 19:16 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: cellar@ietf.org
cc: Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com>, hubblec4 <hubblec4@gmx.ch>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 15:16:12 -0400
Subject: Re: [Cellar] Call for adoption of three new WG items

Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com> wrote:
    > - the tags and codec specs sections may need more frequent adjustments
    > as new codecs and tags are needed, whereas the rest of the matroska
    > specification should be relatively stable

Assuming that the IANA Considerations requires an IETF Standards Action to
allocate, then new tags and new codecs can be added with a specification that
simply updates this document: we don't have to repeat the entire process.

If bigcompany.example publishes some super-magic codec, available only by
using their CPU, and want a codec code for it, and the IANA Considerations
includes an "Expert Review" or "First Come First Served" section, then they
simply ask for it, no specification required even.
If the ITU publishes some codec, and wants a code, and it's "Specification
Required" (vs IETF Standards Action), then the existence of their document
is enough to get a code.

    > Moving the tags section to a separate document wasn’t because of its
    > complexity but because it would likely need more frequent revision as
    > new metadata values are added. So the chapters descriptions are still
    > in draft-lhomme-cellar-matroska-04, see
    > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lhomme-cellar-matroska-04#section-10.

Will the new tags materially affect processing of the old tags?