Re: [Cellar] IANA Considerations for EBML

Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com> Mon, 02 July 2018 19:45 UTC

From: Dave Rice <dave@dericed.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 15:45:17 -0400
Cc: Codec Encoding for LossLess Archiving and Realtime transmission <cellar@ietf.org>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Steve Lhomme <slhomme@matroska.org>
Subject: Re: [Cellar] IANA Considerations for EBML

Hi Michael, Steve,

I might be mistaken here, but from the draft the process of registering an Element ID via IANA only seems interested in the Element ID itself. For a curious onlooker of the IANA registrations it might be helpful to see what the associated DocType is so that the context and semantics could be understood, otherwise the registration only seems to indicate that somewhere someone registered it via first-come first-serve.

Additionally I think I’d prefer (except for the IDs used by EBML itself) that the combination of DocType and ElementID be required as unique rather than only the ElementID itself. This seems analogous to how the same node name is allowed in various XML Schemas but don’t necessarily have any relation to one another in semantics.

Is it acceptable to extend the IANA Considerations section to clarify the required information for registrations? From the discussion in the pull request these scenarios seem to be:

option a
- the VINT_DATA of the Element ID

option b
- the VINT_DATA of the Element ID