Re: [Cellar] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-cellar-ebml-15: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Fri, 27 December 2019 15:06 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Steve Lhomme <slhomme@matroska.org>, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>, draft-ietf-cellar-ebml@ietf.org, Steven Villereal <villereal@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, cellar-chairs@ietf.org, Codec Encoding for LossLess Archiving and Realtime transmission <cellar@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 10:06:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [Cellar] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-cellar-ebml-15: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Steve Lhomme <slhomme@matroska.org> wrote:

    >>> Actually, as long as you have the "packets" in the right order you
    >>> can use the EBML stream. You can also use it if you're missing some
    >>> packets. The Checksum can help determine if the data are valid or
    >>> not, even if the underlying transport loses some bits. It could
    >>> technically be used as-is as protocol on top of IP, like TCP or UDP.
    >>
    >> Huh, interesting.  Though I thought that UDP (and IP itself) didn't
    >> guarantee in-order delivery.

    > UDP and IP have no notion or order. But you can create protocols on top
    > that do. Basically an EBML-based streaming format would just be:
    > [Packet Number][EBML element] With EBML element smaller than 4000 or
    > 1512 octets to fit nicely in Ethernet.  Anyway, that's definitely out
    > of the scope of this document ;)

Yes.  I read it as binding more to long-term storage than transmission.

But, not every transmission system is TCP, and EBML would certainly be appropriate
format for video transmissions from a multi-decade long flight of an
interstellar space-craft, and those don't do retransmissions :-)
This is an 'archival' format afterall, so it such a transmission would need
to survive multiple generations of base-station systems.