Re: [certid] SRV-ID examples

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Tue, 30 November 2010 03:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:10:08 -0700
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com>
Cc: IETF cert-based identity <certid@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [certid] SRV-ID examples

Sorry about the delayed reply, and thanks for your persistence.

On 11/21/10 7:57 AM, Dan Winship wrote:
> On 11/20/2010 11:46 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> On 11/20/10 2:28 PM, Dan Winship wrote:
>>> draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check-11, section 3.2 says:
>>>
>>>    A certificate for the IMAP-accessible email server at
>>>    "mail.example.net" might include SRV-IDs of "_imap.mail.example.net"
>>>    and "_imaps.mail.example.net" (see [EMAIL-SRV]) and a DNS-ID of
>>>    "mail.example.net".
>>>
>>> As I understand it, the SRV-ID is based on the source domain, not the
>>> derived domain, and so "_imap.mail.example.net" would only be correct if
>>> you were expecting clients to do a SRV lookup for
>>> "_imap._tcp.mail.example.net". But the more usual case would be doing a
>>> lookup for "_imap._tcp.example.net", in which case the corresponding
>>> SRV-ID would "_imap.example.net". Right?
>>
>> Why assume so?
>>
>> Although my email address is stpeter@stpeter.im, my email server is
>> "mailhost.stpeter.im" and I have explicitly configured my email client
>> to connect to that server. In that case, "mailhost.stpeter.im" is a
>> source domain.
>
> Right, but there would be no SRV-IDs involved in that case, because your
> email client didn't need to do a SRV lookup.

Not necessarily. Let's say that I've delegated my XMPP application to
Google's hosting service at gmail.com. So in my client I hardcode the
equivalent of "for stpeter.im, connect to gmail.com". But my client
might still need to do an SRV lookup for the target domain, leading to
results like this:

$ dig +short -t SRV _xmpp-client._tcp.gmail.com
20 0 5222 talk1.l.google.com.
20 0 5222 talk2.l.google.com.
20 0 5222 talk3.l.google.com.
20 0 5222 talk4.l.google.com.
5 0 5222 talk.l.google.com.

> Maybe I'm misusing the source/derived domain terminology, so forget
> about that part...

Well, it's important to understand the terminology so we're sure that
we're talking about the same things. So far I think we might be talking
about different things, but both are important.

> What I was trying to say is that the example is weird, because it seems
> like it's probably talking about the IMAP server that is used by the guy
> whose email address is "bob@example.net", but actually it's talking
> about the IMAP server that is used by "alice@MAIL.example.net".
> "bob@example.net"'s IMAP server would have to present a SRV-ID of
> "_imap.example.net", not "_imap.mail.example.net", regardless of the
> hostname of the server it was running on (assuming I'm reading
> draft-daboo-srv-email-05 and RFC 4985 right).

I think it would be helpful to have one example of foo.example.tld
servicing addresses of the form user@example.tld and one example of
foo.example.tld servicing addresses of the form user@foo.example.tld,
because both approaches are legitimate and it's good to show the
differences between the two.

Thus I suggest:

###

3.2.  Examples

   Consider a simple website at "www.example.com", which is not
   discoverable via DNS SRV lookups.  A certificate for this service
   might include only a DNS-ID of "www.example.com" (and, strictly as a
   fallback for existing client software, a CN-ID of "www.example.com").

   Consider an IMAP-accessible email server at "mail.example.net"
   servicing email addresses of the form "user@example.net" and
   discoverable via DNS SRV lookups on the "example.net" domain.  A
   certificate for this service might include SRV-IDs of
   "_imap.example.net" and "_imaps.example.net" (see [EMAIL-SRV]) along
   with a DNS-ID of "example.net".

   Consider an XMPP-compatible instant messaging server at
   "im.example.org" servicing IM addresses of the form
   "user@im.example.org" and discoverable via DNS SRV lookups on the
   "im.example.org" domain.  A certificate for this service might
   include SRV-IDs of "_xmpp-client.im.example.org" and "_xmpp-
   server.im.example.org" (see [XMPP]), a DNS-ID of "im.example.org",
   and an XMPP-specific "XmppAddr" of "im.example.org" (see [XMPP]).

###

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre