Re: [certid] SRV-ID examples

Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com> Sun, 21 November 2010 14:57 UTC

Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 09:57:57 -0500
From: Dan Winship <dan.winship@gmail.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Cc: IETF cert-based identity <certid@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [certid] SRV-ID examples

> On 11/20/10 2:28 PM, Dan Winship wrote:
>> draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check-11, section 3.2 says:
>>
>>    A certificate for the IMAP-accessible email server at
>>    "mail.example.net" might include SRV-IDs of "_imap.mail.example.net"
>>    and "_imaps.mail.example.net" (see [EMAIL-SRV]) and a DNS-ID of
>>    "mail.example.net".
>>
>> As I understand it, the SRV-ID is based on the source domain, not the
>> derived domain, and so "_imap.mail.example.net" would only be correct if
>> you were expecting clients to do a SRV lookup for
>> "_imap._tcp.mail.example.net". But the more usual case would be doing a
>> lookup for "_imap._tcp.example.net", in which case the corresponding
>> SRV-ID would "_imap.example.net". Right?
>
> Why assume so?
>
> Although my email address is stpeter@stpete.rim, my email server is
> "mailhost.stpeter.im" and I have explicitly configured my email client
> to connect to that server. In that case, "mailhost.stpeter.im" is a
> source domain.

Right, but there would be no SRV-IDs involved in that case, because your
email client didn't need to do a SRV lookup.

Maybe I'm misusing the source/derived domain terminology, so forget
about that part...

What I was trying to say is that the example is weird, because it seems
like it's probably talking about the IMAP server that is used by the guy
whose email address is "bob@example.net", but actually it's talking
about the IMAP server that is used by "alice@MAIL.example.net".
"bob@example.net"'s IMAP server would have to present a SRV-ID of
"_imap.example.net", not "_imap.mail.example.net", regardless of the
hostname of the server it was running on (assuming I'm reading
draft-daboo-srv-email-05 and RFC 4985 right).

Likewise, if you had mail-related SRV records on stpeter.im so that you
could configure your email client by typing in just your email address,
then _imap._tcp.stpeter.im would point to mailhost.stpeter.im, and your
IMAP server would present a certificate with a DNS-ID of
mailhost.stpeter.im and a SRV-ID of _imap.stpeter.im.

-- Dan