Re: [Cfrg] Requesting removal of CFRG co-chair

Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com> Sun, 22 December 2013 00:10 UTC

From: Tao Effect <contact@taoeffect.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 19:10:33 -0500
To: Paul Lambert <paul@marvell.com>
Cc: Hilarie Orman <ho@alum.mit.edu>, "cfrg@ietf.org" <cfrg@ietf.org>, "irtf-chair@irtf.org" <irtf-chair@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Requesting removal of CFRG co-chair

On Dec 21, 2013, at 6:55 PM, Paul Lambert <paul@marvell.com> wrote:

> It is embarrassing to me to see the technical debate in the IETF lowered
> to the point that we are removing and rejecting people by their
> affiliation.  The whole point of standards is to bring into a room a group
> of competitors and work through a process to create technical solutions in
> a productive manner.  A continued debate on individuals open affiliations
> is not productive.  We should not proceed with a witch hunt to remove
> Government employees from the IETF.

My position mirror's Daniel Gillmor's almost perfectly. That is to say, I am not in favor of "[removing] Government employees from the IETF".

I thought Daniel's last three paragraphs were poetry, especially the last one (emphasis mine):

At some point, a good-faith Kevin would realize that his position and
ability to lead as co-chair is damaged by the adversarial nature of his
employer to the goals of the research group.  Stepping down from that
position and continuing to contribute helpfully would be a way to
indicate where his allegiance lies in this conflict.  This is not a
purge.  No one is calling for his expulsion from the research group
entirely.

The question is whether Kevin's affiliation has undermined his ability to represent and lead the recommendations made by the IETF.

I believe it has, and I am also hoping to hear from Kevin himself on this. In spite of my support for him stepping down as co-chair because of his affiliation, I don't want to give the impression that I am calling for his "removal" from the IETF, whatever that even means (anyone is free to send emails and recommendations to these lists).

For all I know Kevin is a swell guy who, as Daniel so eloquently put it:

discovered with the rest of us this year that his major institutional
affiliation was working behind his back to subvert the process in which
he was actively engaged

Kind regards,
Greg