Re: [Cfrg] request for comments: ZSS Short Signature Scheme for SS and BN Curves

Laura Hitt <lhitt@21ct.com> Mon, 26 August 2013 19:24 UTC

From: Laura Hitt <lhitt@21ct.com>
To: Kohei Kasamatsu <kasamatsu.kohei@po.ntts.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 14:23:54 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "cfrg@irtf.org" <cfrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] request for comments: ZSS Short Signature Scheme for SS and BN Curves

Dear Kohei Kasamatsu,

Thank you for your comment. The Cheon attacks against (variably
named) strong or static Diffie-Hellman assumption, or the
Diffie-Hellman with Auxiliary Input problem are very
interesting work. I will include the suggested references in
the I-D. However, I do not believe it poses a substantial
danger for ZSS for the following reasons:

1) Those attacks are predicated on the notion that the attacker
will have access to an oracle that will supply s^d*P for large
d to help solve the discrete log of sP for s, and there's not
sufficient reason to think that this additional information
would be available in the cases of interest.

2) Because the parameters used in the I-D (taken from the
MIKEY-SAKKE rfc) have a full sized cryptographic subgroup, even
if the attack applied, at best these attacks convert the
problem to O(Sqrt{(p-1)/d}+d) which is optimized if d<=p^(1/3),
but for the rfc parameters, this would still be an attack of
order O(p^(1/3))~=2^341, which is way worse than the standard
NSF costing.

Thanks again for your comment. Please let me know if you have
other concerns.

All the best,
Laura