Re: [Cfrg] Response to the request to remove CFRG co-chair

Alyssa Rowan <akr@akr.io> Mon, 06 January 2014 19:46 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 19:46:28 +0000
From: Alyssa Rowan <akr@akr.io>
To: "Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov>, cfrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Response to the request to remove CFRG co-chair

On 05/01/2014 07:49, Eggert, Lars wrote:

> […] The IRTF and IETF have always welcomed participation by all,
> and the open processes that both organizations employ have been our
> safeguard against any group of participants that attempted to
> subvert our technical work, in any field we're active in.
> Widespread wiretapping by nation-state adversaries is a threat
> unlike any other in the history of the Internet, but I do not
> believe that preventing interested people from participating in the
> IRTF or IETF based solely on their affiliation will help us combat
> that threat.

> I hope the above explains why I am declining Trevor Perrin's
> request to remove Kevin Igoe as a co-chair of the IRTF's Crypto
> Forum Research Group (CFRG). […]

Lars: Thank you kindly for considering the request. I can see it has
been considered with careful gravity and balance. I note the outcome,
and particularly your concern regarding the potential for
precedent-setting, which I also do not think would be helpful.

David McGrew also noted the importance of trustworthiness in the
duties of a research group co-chair - despite their secretarial nature.

I submit trustworthiness is particularly vital here: in a research
group which, though not a ‘key crypto standards body’ exactly,
is tasked with discussing, reviewing and ultimately providing expert
guidance to IETF Working Groups on the correct practical application of
cryptographic techniques in standard protocols for worldwide use
across the internet.

Kevin: Meaning no disrespect, I remain concerned as to the impact of
your remaining as co-chair upon the wider perception that this
research group would be a useful and trustworthy venue for such
discussion and advice.

I therefore respectfully ask, Kevin, that you please personally
consider my request that, though not forcibly removed, you should at
least reconsider whether in all of the circumstances and the wider
position, you wish to remain as co-chair of the CFRG, or would prefer
to participate as a non-chairing member of the forum instead.

Thank-you.

- --
/akr