[Cfrg] 答复: Re: [saag] New draft: Hashed Password Exchange

zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn Wed, 01 February 2012 08:08 UTC

To: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
From: zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 16:08:23 +0800
Cc: cfrg-bounces@irtf.org, cfrg@irtf.org, saag@ietf.org, Steven Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: [Cfrg] 答复: Re: [saag] New draft: Hashed Password Exchange

Hi, Steven,

cfrg-bounces@irtf.org 写于 2012-01-07 17:03:25:

> On Wed, January 4, 2012 2:56 pm, Steven Bellovin wrote:
> > Good point; let me think about it for -01.  An obvious solution is to
send
> > the hostname with the effective password.
>
>   How is that different than using random salt then? If _something_ is
> going to be sent shouldn't it be a uniformly random bitstring instead of
> a hostname?
>
>   A uniformly random bitstring would be more appropriate as a key to
> HMAC than a highly structured string like a password too. Iterate
> HMAC(salt, password | service-URI) instead of HMAC(password,
service-URI).

I think Dan's suggestion is reasonable, I checked the RFC 2104 and found
the following section :

"3. Keys

   The key for HMAC can be of any length (keys longer than B bytes are
   first hashed using H).  However, less than L bytes is strongly
   discouraged as it would decrease the security strength of the
   function.  Keys longer than L bytes are acceptable but the extra
   length would not significantly increase the function strength. (A
   longer key may be advisable if the randomness of the key is
   considered weak.)

   Keys need to be chosen at random (or using a cryptographically strong
   pseudo-random generator seeded with a random seed), and periodically
   refreshed.  (Current attacks do not indicate a specific recommended
   frequency for key changes as these attacks are practically
   infeasible.  However, periodic key refreshment is a fundamental
   security practice that helps against potential weaknesses of the
   function and keys, and limits the damage of an exposed key.)"

Since passwords are often not too long, and not so random, it is better
to hash it before using it as a key in a HMAC.

Regards~~~

-Sujing Zhou

>   That said, goal 4 in the draft-- "By iterating a sufficient number of
> times, dictionary attacks can be made arbitrarily expensive"-- seems a
> bit misguided. The Amazon cloud service has been used to launch an
> off-line dictionary attack against the WPA-PSK protocol which uses
PBKDF2