Re: [Cfrg] Extra ECC desideratum: hard static DH and q-strong DH problems

Dan Brown <dbrown@certicom.com> Fri, 08 August 2014 20:43 UTC

From: Dan Brown <dbrown@certicom.com>
To: "'cfrg@irtf.org'" <cfrg@irtf.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 20:43:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.65.160.250]
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Extra ECC desideratum: hard static DH and q-strong DH problems

From: Watson Ladd [mailto:watsonbladd@gmail.com]
>> On Aug 8, 2014 12:17 PM, "Dan Brown" <dbrown@certicom.com> wrote:
>
> Three reasons that static ECDH key agreement should still be considered in
> the CFRG curve recommendation:
>
> 1. Existing versions of TLS allow static DH for sever authentication, and
> allow ephemeral re-use in DHE, and if I understand, these allowance would
> carry if implemented with ECC.  Also, IKE allows ephemeral reuse.
> 2. Other IETF protocols using ECC, e.g. CMS, may require static DH keys, due
> to less interaction being available.  Perhaps JOSE uses static ECDH too?
> 3. Perhaps future versions of TLS will drop signature uses for
> authentication, and instead use static DH keys for authentication.
> (Something like in MQV or some other key agreement scheme.) Or, maybe IETF
> will later adopt protocols that use the esoteric blinding properties of raw
> static DH.
>
> So, I think it desirable for the choice of curve to be one that fares well
> static DH keys are used.

I don't remember if I mentioned all of the above previously CFRG, but I
thought it worth reviewing.

>> This was mentioned prior to the CFRG interim. As I pointed out at that
>> meeting, hashing points renders the paper of Cheon irrelevent.

Below this paragraph, my previous email mentioned a few ideas and a few other
papers, not just the paper of Cheon.  Specifically, the text below tries to
explain the relevance of Cheon's algorithm towards theoretical security
assumptions about hashed Diffie--Hellman, not towards a practical attack.
Should I assume you think all of the text, or at least its gist, below is
irrelevant?