Re: [Cfrg] Curve selection revisited

Robert Moskowitz <rgm-sec@htt-consult.com> Mon, 28 July 2014 14:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 10:58:14 -0400
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-sec@htt-consult.com>
To: "cfrg@irtf.org" <cfrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Curve selection revisited

The whole world is NOT TLS.  For example I am working in IEEE 1609 which
is Vehicle-to-vehicle safety communications and their need is for signed
data objects that are quickly generated and verified (you have ~100ms
from the braking event to all the cars being able to act on that
information).  I also work in IEEE 802.15.4 highly constrained devices
(some much smaller than what many IETF groups accept as their lower limit).

8 bit processors are the norm, and NO, Dr. Moore is NOT going to change
that.  Lower energy demand is much higher on the design plan than faster
processing.  Also whatever is done will be running on fielded devices
for the next 10 - 20 years.  Hardware acceleration is acceptable, but
that could make in-field corrections impossible. Over-the-air firmware
updates may also be impossible (802.15.4k is 40kb/s) or only done in the
dealership (yes!  another recall!).

So getting on to my thoughts of curve selection requirements for the
world of small:

1) Low over-the-air demands.  Every BIT counts.  We have to live with 32
bytes; but 64 bytes may be too much.  Oh, IEEE 1609.2 has its own
'certificate' and signature format as even the standard asn.1 is too
wasteful of the very limited channel.  This applies also in 802.15.4
where adding another MAC frame might mean that the whole thing fails
because now it is more likely that one frame got lost.

2) Easy/size of implementation.  There has been lots of chatter here
about how NIST p256 can be implemented wrongly.  Here it is of greater
concern, as it might require a physical swap-out to correct an
implementation error.  Manufacturers look at the cost of a programmer to
save 5K code cheaper than that extra 5K footprint.  So little code and
easy to code.  This world is extremely price sensitive.

3) Performance on an 8 bit  processor.  Performance is measured in time
and energy.  In-vehicle devices tend to have a ready source of electrons
(except for tire gauges!), but some devices have limited battery (your
front door lock) or NO battery (MEMEs energy harvesters on bridge stress
sensors).  So low energy is as important as quickly done.  Here 10%
faster IS 10% faster; and it could make a life-or-death difference. (In
Positive Train Control, the automatics MUST take over if the human can
no longer respond in time and bullet trains can take 7Km to stop safely)

4) preserving ECDSA and ECDHE.  This is what is currently in use, and in
some cases written into regulations (urgh), so we have to still keep
them working.  But if something 'new' and provably good makes a big
difference in one of the previous needs I suspect there will be an
attentive audience.

I have tried to keep things general so as not too much to limit
choices.  I never claimed to be a crytographer or to have the math
skills to evaluate the various contenders.  Others working in this area
might have their own reading on the needs of constrained
devices/communications.

But please just don't solve this for TLS on octo-core 64-bit systems.