Re: [Cfrg] Question from JOSE working group

"Jim Schaad" <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 03 July 2012 17:45 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Russ Housley' <housley@vigilsec.com>, "'Richard L.Barnes'" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 10:43:51 -0700
Cc: cfrg@irtf.org, jose@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Question from JOSE working group

I would also note that when PKCS#7 was designed, the hash algorithm was
always protected independent the presence of signed attributes.  Either the
hash algorithm was in the signed attributes or it was in the RSA signature
block encoding.   It was only with the introduction of other algorithms that
this was no longer true.

Jim