Re: [Cfrg] RG Last Call - draft-irtf-cfrg-ocb-00

"Blumenthal, Uri - 0558 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu> Wed, 06 February 2013 16:24 UTC

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0558 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu>
To: Greg Rose <ggr@seer-grog.net>, "Igoe, Kevin M." <kmigoe@nsa.gov>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 11:24:37 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "cfrg@irtf.org" <cfrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] RG Last Call - draft-irtf-cfrg-ocb-00

I concur with Greg.

My opinion is - this mode is technically sound (and that's probably is
this group's consensus) but practically unusable in any serious product
(commercial or otherwise) because of its licensing terms.

This licensing makes me leery to accept this AEAD mode for standardization
(despite that it is faster than the alternatives) when we already have
acceptable standardized non-encumbered (and reasonably fast) modes such as
GCM.

Performance isn't all, after all. :-)
--
Regards,