Re: [Cfrg] request for review of IPsec ESP and AH Usage Guidance

"Blumenthal, Uri - 0558 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu> Tue, 02 July 2013 21:20 UTC

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0558 - MITLL" <uri@ll.mit.edu>
To: "'ynir@checkpoint.com'" <ynir@checkpoint.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 17:19:58 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "'cfrg@irtf.org'" <cfrg@irtf.org>, "'paul.hoffman@vpnc.org'" <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: Re: [Cfrg] request for review of IPsec ESP and AH Usage Guidance

But Yoav, my whole point was that:

- there is (almost) no reason to use AH now, as ESP handles _authetication-only_, encryption-only, encryption+authentication;

- for any use that involves encryption+authentication there is no justification (nor reason :) to use anything but one of AE encryption modes such as GCM (<b>no</b> reason to use AES-whatever plus HMAC-whatever); this includes a naïve attempt to do separate AES-CTR + AES-GMAC - just do AES-GCM instead;

- for any use that involves authentication-only (such as ESP-authenticate, or AH - doesn't matter) one SHOULD employ GMAC instead of HMAC, for reasons specified in the previous posting.

This reasoning (GMAC instead of HMAC) applies to ESP as much as to AH.

P.S. IMHO the _only_ case when you might want to use AH at all is when you both need to authenticate a larger part of the IP header than ESP covers _and_ you want to use Transport rather than Tunnel mode of IPsec.

--
Regards,
Uri Blumenthal                            Voice: (781) 981-1638

Web:  http://www.ll.mit.edu/CST/

MIT LL Root CA:

 <https://www.ll.mit.edu/labcertificateauthority.html>