Subject: Re: [Cfrg] [TLS] Data limit to achieve Indifferentiability for ciphertext with TLS 1.3 GCM, and the 2nd paragraph of Section 5.5
From: Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]>
To: "Dang, Quynh (Fed)" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 22:42:31 +0200
List-Id: Crypto Forum Research Group <cfrg.irtf.org>

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 02:54:23AM +0000, Dang, Quynh (Fed) wrote:
> 
> Rekeying too often than needed would just create more room for
> issues for the connection/session without gaining any additional
> practical security at all.

With regards to rekeying frequency I'm concerned about testability,
have it to be too rare and it is pretty much as good as nonexistent.

This is the reason why I set the rekey limit to 2M(!) records in
btls (with first rekey at 1k(!) records). These limits have absolutely
nothing to do with any sort of cryptographic reasoning[1][2].

[1] If they did, then Chacha rekey limit would be when RSN exhaustion
is imminent (since RSNs can't wrap, but can be reset). 

[2] The 2M limit is chosen so that it is reached in ~1minute in fast
transfer tests.

-Ilari