Re: [CGA-EXT] Hashed DAD

Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com> Thu, 28 February 2008 21:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:58:28 -0500
From: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
To: Pars Mutaf <pars.mutaf@gmail.com>
Cc: cga-ext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [CGA-EXT] Hashed DAD
Sender: cga-ext-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Pars,
   There are not much details to go on, but I can already see that there
are a couple of issues with this approach.

* It works only if ALL NODES in the network support your upgraded
specification, since if there is even one unupgraded node it will
destroy your scheme. This makes this proposal a non-starter.

* Even on a theoretical note, it is pretty simple to defeat.
This is an example exchange. Let's say there are two nodes A (the nice
node) and M(the malicious node). A owns the address X.

a) A sends a DAD NS for Hash(X)
b) M gets this message
c) M sends a DAD NS for Hash(X)
d) A responds to M with the original address X
e) M can now defend the address X since he knows it

Cheers
Suresh