[CGA-EXT] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-rgaglian-csi-send-ski-ta-nametype-00

Roque Gagliano <roque@lacnic.net> Tue, 06 October 2009 11:35 UTC

From: Roque Gagliano <roque@lacnic.net>
To: cga-ext@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:35:49 +0100
Subject: [CGA-EXT] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-rgaglian-csi-send-ski-ta-nametype-00

Dear WG,

At the "cert" team we have identify a problem with RFC 3971 and the
trust anchor name types defined there. The RFC defines as possible
name types a X501 subject name or a FQDN. The problem we have is that
subject name may not be unique across CAs in a PKI.

As we decided to adopt SIDR WG certificate profile, the Subject Key
Identifier extension is mandatory now. Consequently, we can use this
hash of the subject public key to identify the host TAs even if we
need to search across several CAs.

We are issuing this draft to document the problem. However, RFC 3971
did not set a Registry for name types in the TA ICMP option, which
means that the only way to implement this new name type is to modify
RFC 3971 that I understand was already part of the plans for this WG.

How do the group feels about taking this path?

Regards,

Roque, Suresh, Ana.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <idsubmission@ietf.org>
> Date: October 6, 2009 12:23:13 PM GMT+01:00
> To: roque@lacnic.net
> Cc: suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com,ana.kukec@fer.hr
> Subject: New Version Notification for  draft-rgaglian-csi-send-ski-
> ta-nametype-00
>

> A new version of I-D, draft-rgaglian-csi-send-ski-ta-nametype-00.txt
> has been successfuly submitted by Roque Gagliano and posted to the
> IETF repository.
>
> Filename:	 draft-rgaglian-csi-send-ski-ta-nametype
> Revision:	 00
> Title:		 Subject Key Identifier (SKI) name type for SEND TA option
> Creation_date:	 2009-10-06
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 10
>
> Abstract:
> SEcure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) Utilizes X.509v3 certificates for
> performing router authorization.  This document specifies a SEND name
> type to identify trust anchor X.509v3 certificates based on its
> Subject Key Identifier.
>

> The IETF Secretariat.

Roque Gagliano
LACNIC
roque@lacnic.net
GPG Fingerprint: E929 06F4 D8CD 2AD8 9365  DB72 9E4F 964A 01E9 6CEE