Re: review of 3 I-Ds

Bob Stewart <rlstewart@xap.xyplex.com> Mon, 07 March 1994 22:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 1994 16:33:10 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@xap.xyplex.com>
To: tacox@mail.bellcore.com
Cc: mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us, char-mib@pa.dec.com
Subject: Re: review of 3 I-Ds

WG Members,

Tracy is reviewing our Internet Drafts for the Network Management Directorate.

Tracy,

Thanks.

>(Quick review was helped by 6 more inches of snow that
>fell Wednesday night, and the ability to work at home.
>How bad is it in NH/MA Bob?  It is the tundra in NJ!
>Spring will never come!)

We got dumped on Wednesday, too.  My 1/4 mile, semi-verticle driveway got
plowed late Thursday afternoon, then it snowed some more Friday, and the guy
didn't plow it.  I got stuck Friday, Saturday various vehicles went in and
out, some 4-wheel drive, then Sunday morning it had frozen and my son got
stuck.  New Hampshire looks like Antarctica with trees.

Back to business.

>Character MIB:
>
>-- You use the words "experimental portion in" in the Introduction?
>Should you say "extension to" instead.  This MIB is
>not an experimental MIB?

Leftover boilerplate.  Fixed.

>-- have you gotten an ifType from IANA?

No.  I'll request that.

>-- InterfaceIndex does not pass MOSY (warning)
>>From mosy:
>warning: object "charPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>warning: object "charSessPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>What are we doing about this issue?

I started to change the IMPORTS to RFC-1573, then became unsure, since the
module that contains the textual convention is IF-MIB.  I believe that should
do it, barring problems with compilers.

>-- charSessConnectId is an InstancePointer: what does it
>point to?
>First accessible object in the MIB?

The definition of the textual convention says that it's the first columnar
object in the conceptual row.

>-- charAsyncGroup is not defined as an OBJECT-GROUP
>same for charSyncGroup  (There are no other objects in MIB;
>every object
>is in charGroup?)

Cut and paste error.  Those should have been deleted.  Ther is only one group.

>-- charPortSessionMaximum should have a SYNTAX of INTEGER
>if it is to be further bounded; see RFC1442.
>Same with charPortSessionIndex.
>Same with charSessIndex.

The SEQUENCE and the OBJECT-TYPE for charPortSessionMaximum were out of synch.
The OBJECT-TYPE has a bounds, so I changed the SEQUENCE to INTEGER.

Similar deal for charPortSessionIndex, and charSessIndex.  They're bounded and
are both INTEGERS.

>Parallel-printer-like MIB:
>
>-- You use the words "experimental portion in" in the Introduction?
>Should you say "extension to" instead.  This is
>not an experimental MIB?

Fixed.

>-- InterfaceIndex does not pass MOSY (warning)
>>From mosy:
>warning: object "paraPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>warning: object "paraInSigPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>warning: object "paraOutSigPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"

Same excuse as for Character MIB.

>-- There is an END clause before the conformance information

Fixed.

>RS-232-like MIB:
>
>-- You use the words "experimental portion in" in the Introduction?
>Should you say "extension to" instead.  This is
>not an experimental MIB?

Fixed.

>-- InterfaceIndex does not pass MOSY (warning)
>>From mosy:
>warning: object "rs232PortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>warning: object "rs232AsyncPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>warning: object "rs232AsyncPortBits" has unknown SYNTAX "Integer"
>warning: object "rs232SyncPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>warning: object "rs232InSigPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"
>warning: object "rs232OutSigPortIndex" has unknown SYNTAX "InterfaceIndex"

Same excuse as Parallel MIB

>-- There is an END clause before the conformance information

Fixed.

>-- How does ifSpeed in the ifMIB relate to rs232PortInSpeed and
>rs232PortOutSpeed?

Uhhhhh.  I suppose all we can do is pick one for it to match.  I pick
rs232PortOutSpeed.  I added that to the "Relationship to Interface MIB"
section.

>-- rs232AsyncPortBits has a SYNTAX of Integer should be
>INTEGER.

Fixed.

I've made these changes and will wait a while to see if any other comments
come in.

	Bob