'Chassis MIB' WG Reactivation

Dan Romascanu <dan@lannet.com> Sun, 26 December 1993 09:53 UTC

Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1993 11:31:26 -0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dan Romascanu <dan@lannet.com>
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Subject: 'Chassis MIB' WG Reactivation
Cc: 76447.444@compuserve.com, snmp@psi.net

Hello,

Bob Millen's message came just in time to remind us that 1993
is (almost) over and together with it the moratorium period
concerning opening of new WGs in the Network Management Area.

Bob states correctly that there is an accute need of defining
a standard method for the management of compound devices. On
my opinion the time elapsed since the activity in the Chassis
MIB WG was interrupted only enhanced the need. We should learn
from the mistakes of the past (the list is long, we did not
limit and define a clear-enough scope, key people were involved
in too many parallel activities,...), take the good things (we
had many well articulated technical proposals, so that a new
activity needs not be begun from zero) and rectivate this
activity. We might even change the name to something else if
'Chassis MIB' arrises traumatic memories to anyone.

We have a problem which needs and can be soved. Let's
approach it.

A Happy New Year to everybody

dan@lannet.com
Dan Romascanu, LANNET Data Communications Ltd.,
Tel Aviv, ISRAEL, Voice: 972-3-645-8414