Minutes of Washington Meeting

Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com> Thu, 17 December 1992 19:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1992 14:48:15 -0500
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com>
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Minutes of Washington Meeting

Sorry I took so long getting the minutes out.  {Insert mile long list of
excuses here.}  These have to be submitted to Megan Monday, so you have until
then to repair my transcription of my notes.

	Bob

Chassis MIB Working Group Minutes
Bob Stewart, Xyplex, rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com

The Chassis MIB Working Group held its third meeting at the IETF
meeting in Washington D.C., at 1:30 PM on Tuesday, 17 November
1992.  For this meeting, Jeff Case presided and Bob Stewart
recorded.  Unlike last time, the group had done considerable work
using the mailing list, but progress broke down due to problems
with the overall model for a chassis and how to describe it in a
MIB.

The following meeting agenda was presented at the meeting.

Chassis MIB WG -- November 17, 1992

Bob Stewart
rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com

Jeff Case
case@cs.utk.edu

chassismib-request@cs.utk.edu to add/delete/modify

.  Welcome / Introductions / Administrative details

.  Chassis entity table issues
   -  chassisEntityArgument
   -  chassisEntityAdminStatus
   -  expository text

.  Definition of a chassis

.  Multiple (redundant) views of the chassis

.  Identify new issues

.  Power supply

.  Environment

.  Future plans

We reviewed the agenda and made the following changes:

.   We added "host as a chassis" to end of agenda, as hosts have
    slots and Host MIB isn't addressing that.  Also added
    "hosts in a chassis."

.   We added implementation model and architectural issues to
    entity table issues.

.   We moved "definition of a chassis" higher.

.   We added conformance issues.

The following points were made regarding a suggestion to limit
the model to a physical chassis:

.   That is a charter violation.

.   We can use a physical chassis as the primary example.

.   There are products that are closely-coupled boxes.

.   Seven or so companies have products with a proprietary
    chassis MIB.

.   We need to move forward on the specific problem with
    consideration for the general problem.

The following points were made regarding the model:

.   A chassis is an "enclosure" with "slots."

.   A "module" may occupy one or more slots.

.   "Entities" perform one or multiple functions.

.   How do we handle a function that is part of the chassis
    rather than a slot?  It could be considered a slot.  There
    are kinds of slots:  fan, power supply, etc.  One
    implementation contains a column for type of slot and one
    level of subcomponents of modules.  Another implementation
    has segments indexed by type.  Type concept could be
    extended to slots, but what if the uses overlap?  Two
    levels for component and subcomponent may not be enough,
    but may be best handled with recursive application of
    chassis model.

.   The basic model is physical modules, functional entities,
    and segments with a many-to-many map, including null
    segments.

.   We lack a shared overall model, which leads to problems
    with objects.

.   One implementation has classes of slots, such as power
    supply, fan, and module.  Modular slots make up entities
    one to one, which is not good enough for a general model.

.   The type and location approach was suggested for
    physical, functional, and segment tables.

.   This constitutes types for holes and types for pegs.

.   Functional types are peg types, not hole types.

.   Type needs to cover multiple properties, implying a bit
    string rather than an object identifier (OID).

.   We need a physical subpart table to break physical parts
    into separate pieces.

.   The original model handles combining parts into a logical
    entity.

.   We are trying to do too much and should stick with the
    current model.

.   We're close to a solution.

.   Type added to physical and segment table maps nicely to a
    physical label.

.   We've shown that the model is not clearly described by
    the text.  We must avoid the problem of the MIB-II
    ifTable.

.   Happiness with the model varies based on belief in
    understanding.

.   Idea of a type seems useful.

The following points were made regarding the the entity table:

.   An issue is control versus monitoring.

.   An issue is what chassisEntityArgument is for:  way to
    control in detail, too implementation specific, must
    describe it in detail or remove it.

.   We removed chassisEntityArgument.

.   We discussed chassisEntityAdminStatus.  An implementation
    allows reset.  Is it for a physical or logical entity?  It
    duplicates specific MIB objects.  The states are not
    clear.  We should keep it and apply it to the physical
    module.  What if such application is not possible?  If not
    possible, say no.

.   We kept chassisEntityAdminStatus but it needs work.

The future plan is:

.   Jeff will prepare an Internet Draft.

.   We will discuss the issues on the mailing list.

.   The co-chairs will be more active on the mailing list.

Respectfully submitted,

     Bob Stewart