Interface configuration

dan@lannet.com (Dan Romascanu) Thu, 03 September 1992 12:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1992 11:04:53 -0000
From: dan@lannet.com
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Interface configuration

David Arneson (arneson@ctron.com) asks:

> So where do others stand? If we find nobody else out there that agrees with
> my self and Keith then the interface objects should be deleted from the MIB.

I think they should remain in the MIB. They provide a standard tool to make
information available about connectivity between entities within the chassis.
They also allow mapping the external connections (interfaces, repeater / bridge
ports) through entities to segments.

Keith's proposal to add an indexType and indexValue is valuable and gives us
the extensibility to ports which are not necessarely MIB interfaces. However,
I would also put them, as David sugests, in a separate optional table, to make
things simpler for those who do not need or cannot implement them.

dan@lannet.com

Dan Romascanu
Systems Group Manager

LANNET Data Communications, Ltd.