Re: Last Hurdle

David Engel <david@istwok.ods.com> Thu, 17 September 1992 19:46 UTC

From: David Engel <david@istwok.ods.com>
Subject: Re: Last Hurdle
To: arneson@yeti.ctron.com
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 14:46:39 -0500
Cc: dperkins@synoptics.com, chassismib@cs.utk.edu

> > For me to feel confortable, with this MIB, the
> > following items need to be done:
> >   1) Diagrams and text that explain the
> >      chassis models that the MIB is providing
> >      information about.
>
> I guess I don't know what you want here.  What more is needed other than
> the current explanation given?  We are trying to model what modules
> are in the chassis, what is running on each module, and what network segments
> the entities are using, and possible the interfaces.

I don't know what examples Dave would like to see, but I've got a
couple specific questions along those lines that I've been struggling
with.  Some of our newer ethernet cards have multiple repeater chips
on them that can be individually connected to any of the backplane
segments or completely stand alone.

1.  Should each repeater chip have its own repeater entry in the
    entity table or should each backplane segment have it's own
    "logical" repeater entry that contains all repeater chips
    attached to that segment?

2.  Should repeater chips that are not connected to a backplane
    segment simply not have entries in the chassis configuration
    table or should there be extra entries in the segment table to
    represent the possible non-backplane segments?

> >   3) Results from a poll indicating which sections
> >      of the MIB can be implemented.
>
> >From what I have seen there appears to be a number of people that think
> they can implement it.  I know here at Cabletron it is easy for us.

We're pretty sure we can implement it.

David