RE: Where do we stand

{3COM/PDD/PeteW}@pdd.3mail.3com.com Fri, 18 June 1993 09:06 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1993 09:35:00 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: {3COM/PDD/PeteW}@pdd.3mail.3com.com
Subject: RE: Where do we stand
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Msg-Date: 1993-06-18
Msg-Time: 09:32

Microsoft Mail v3.0 IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
From: Wilson, Peter
To:  Chassis MIB
Date: 1993-06-18 09:27
Message ID: 40F0D9EE
Conversation ID: 40F0D9EE

I don't think (hope) we've made a decision at this point. We've only really
had input from a couple of people, there were many more expressing opinions
at the Columbus meeting, would any of those loke to comment. My real concern
is for generic management applications. I know I can restrict my
implementation is particular ways to make it possible for me to write a
management application for my own implementation, for example if the many to
many model is adopted I can still restrict my implementation to a many to
one mapping and my application can know this.

My concern is for generic application, which I think these MIBs really need,
which will have to cater for the full, general implementation of the MIB as
applied to anyones device. I'd be very interested to hear the opinion of
anyone writing generic applications and may want to support this MIB. Even
with the many to one mapping it is difficult to present an easy to
comprehend abstraction to a user.

I can see that there are benefits to the many-to-many mapping, but in some
ways I'd prefer to keep the model simple so that people will be able to
produce generic applications. I'd hate us to end up with a MIB that can only
be used generically with a MIB browser!

If we do adopt a many-to-many mapping then I don't think we have the MIB
mapping correct at the current time. It may be better to rethink the tables
than tweak the existing ones.

Pete