Power Supply MIB - Early Warning

dan@lannet.com (Dan Romascanu) Mon, 31 August 1992 12:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1992 13:46:30 -0000
From: dan@lannet.com
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu, rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com
Subject: Power Supply MIB - Early Warning

Hi,

Your proposal seems OK to me, untill we get to this:

> Now we get really fancy.  A table of environmental statuses, indexed by power
> supply index and (shudder) an OID.  Standard OIDs provided for humidity,
> temperature, and fan.  An implementation may omit entries with status
> "unknown" and thus could have an empty table.  Each entry contains:

>         status - unknown, bad, warning, good.

>         warnings - number of times status has gone to warning.

>         failures - number of times status has gone to bad.

The idea is good, but indexing to power supply index would not fit into
models where the different sensors related to humidity, temperature, fans,
etc. I would sugest instead:
  - an environmentIndex, not related to the PS.
  - add a textual description variable.
  - The whole stuff should be put under a separate group, paralel
    to the power supply SNMP group.

dan@lannet.com
Dan Romascanu

LANNET Data Communications