Re: A new table

Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com> Tue, 01 September 1992 19:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1992 15:48:53 -0500
From: Bob Stewart <rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com>
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Re: A new table

I'm not convinced.  If we need linkage to the Interface table, why not bridge
ports and repeater ports?  It seems to me that such linkages are going to be
relatively product-specific.  Each entity in the chassis has its own set of
concerns and its own way of linking its interfaces, ports, whatever to the
chassis segments.

The mapping table as supplied in the Chassis MIB now gives enough information
to know which segment to go look on to find an entity for more direct access,
but I don't believe it gives you enough to be the means of changing an
arbitrary entity's segment mapping.  It's fine for a single port terminal
server, but what about a multiport router with multiple LAN and WAN links.
How do I know the which mapping is which?  I hear someone say, "Aha!
ifIndex!," but that's not the answer if the device is a repeater.

If we ARE going to include ifIndex correspondence, it seems to me it has to be
related to entities rather than slots.  Two entities that share slots could
have different Interface models and numbering, like, say a router and a
repeater.  I can't even think of a good way to arrange the information.  I
need a model for using the information so I know what constitutes useful
table indexex.

	Bob