Re: Chassis MIB Proposal

pablo@FibHaifa.com (Pablo Brenner) Thu, 13 August 1992 23:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1992 18:10:15 -0000
From: pablo@FibHaifa.com
To: chassismib@cs.utk.edu, dan@lannet.com
Subject: Re: Chassis MIB Proposal

dan@lannet.com (Dan Romascanu) writes:

> b. In the previous proposal repeater and concentrator were separated.
> I think it is more correct. I hardly can see why an FDDI concentrator
> should be described as a repeater.

The correction was made because dividing into repeater and concentrator
would be very confusing, the FDDI case is obvious but where would you
put a Token Ring MAU, it is of course a concentrator, but I guess it will
be hard to explain your customers that what they thought it was
a multiport Token Ring Repeater is not a repeater any more but a
concentrator.
Now how would you define an Ethernet HUB?, it is in fact a repeater,
but it's much like a MAU than a regular repeater, etc, etc....

I asked Keith to do one of the following:
1. To explain what is a repeater and what's a concentrator or
2. To join them

He choosed 2 for the sake of simplicity, if the wg doesn't like this
solution so we must explain in the MIB what do we mean.

--Pablo

Pablo Brenner
R&D Dept.
Fibronics Ltd., Matam Industrial Park, Haifa 31905, ISRAEL
phones: +972-4-313675            Fax: +972-4-536360
e-mail: pablo@FibHaifa.com   or  pablo@fibronics.UUCP
Wireless: CX5YI/4X
=============== Usual disclaimers apply =======================