Simple Question

ken@signet.com (Kenneth Virgile) Wed, 17 June 1992 14:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 92 09:10:32 EDT
From: ken@signet.com (Kenneth Virgile)
To: hubmib@synoptics.com
Subject: Simple Question

I already have a box with FDDI and
Ethernet interfaces.  So my box supports
the mib-2, fddi, and the dot3 MIBs.
Just about any NMS can manage my box, (all
the NMS needs is that standard MIB support),
and each mib-2 ifEntry corresponds to a real
physical interface.

Now I try to add a new type of interface, an
Ethernet repeater.  In order for that interface
to be manageable, the NMS must implement a highly
complex set of new MIBs!!!  It needs the ethernet
repeater MIB, but that is just for a single repeater,
not for a box that might have several repeaters.
The NMS also needs the Chassis MIB, and the Party
and View MIBs.  And it's still not clear how
the NMS can access any of a repeater interface's
parameters.

I have a simple question for the Chassis and
Hub Working Groups.

First the scenario:

  A customer wants a simple plug-and-play bridge,
  including some ethernet repeater interfaces.

  The customer knows a little about IP, and wants
  to assign a single IP address to the bridge (I'm
  not about to correct the customer - what the
  customer wants is what the customer gets;
  otherwise, I can't sell my product).

  The customer expects to then turn on the bridge, and
  use a standard NMS (e.g., HP Open View) to manage
  the bridge.

Now the question:

  What MIB parameter should the NMS access in order
  to, say, determine if a particular repeater port has
  been auto-partitioned?  [For example purposes, say
  the repeater port is the 2nd port of the 2nd group of
  the 2nd repeater interface, which is also the 2nd
  interface of the bridge.]

  Please be specific with your response.  As an analogy,
  if the 2nd interface was just dot3 or FDDI, then
  the NMS would reference ifOperStatus.2 to determine if
  it was operational.

Please post all responses to both Working Groups:

  chassismib@cs.utk.edu
  hubmib@synoptics.com

Thanks,
Ken