Re: Mib questions

Kiho Yum <kxy@NSD.3Com.COM> Fri, 11 September 1992 22:46 UTC

From: Kiho Yum <kxy@NSD.3Com.COM>
Subject: Re: Mib questions
To: rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1992 15:46:00 -0700
Cc: chassismib@cs.utk.edu

Hi all,

There a couple aspects of Bob's answers that I'd like to explore,

> >2) Do the terms "functional module" and "logical device"
> >   mean the same and are they things like routers, bridges,
> >   terminal servers, etc?
>
> I couldn't find "functional module."  "Module" seems to always mean physical
> module.  Logical devices are things like routers, bridges, etc., and may or
> may not match up one-to-one with physical modules.

I know this has come up before, but I don't think it's been resolved.
Should we allow logical devices (entities) to be made up of multiple
functions, or should they be broken down into their basic functional
components (with each component being a separate logical device/entity).

What are the issues associated with each approach?

> >6) If more than one implements the chassis MIB, must all the
> >   values be "consistent"?
>
> Muahahahahaha.  Yes, on the basis that consistent means different but related
> as opposed to identical.

It seems to me that the information must be identical, except for the
time-related objects.

> >9) What are some situations the it would be appropriate to use
> >   a "sparse" slot table?
>
> Any situation the implementor chooses.  You might choose to do that in a
> 2-slot chassis or one the size of Texas.

Could interoperability problems arise out of letting the
implementors choose?

/kiho