Re: [Chirp] getting started chirpily

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 23 January 2020 23:13 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 00:13:35 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Cc: chirp@iab.org
Subject: Re: [Chirp] getting started chirpily

Stephen:

I think its obvious from my prior remarks that my primary expertise
and interest would be in resilience related to network layer,
eg: diverse path routing, merging/splitting traffic, exposing
path diversity to forwarding plane and applications so end-to-end
path diversity could become a more comprehensive service,
integrating / expanding protocols like MP-TCP so they could use this
to choose between more throughput or more resilience or with network
coding both.

I think it would be great if we could find cycles to even collect
and document what we have to define a framework, because i think
there is not a single good reference to this type of network service
overall, just a lot of interesting bits and pieces in our world
of specs and a lot more badly published deployment practices in
those operators that already use this.

And of course, it also relates to existing WG in some way:
For example, efforts like DetNet ultimately would also need to have
this service (path diversity), but it hasn't really been subject
of any further review to identify of gaps in our tool chest.
Except that for example IP will not be a sufficient forwarding
plane to do DetNet type PEROF.

There is of course always the problem of cycles folks can spend,
including myself. If i can manage to get some long lingering stuff
off my back soon...  ;-))

Cheers
    Toerless

pub   RSA 4096/7B172BEA 2017-12-22 Stephen Farrell (2017) <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>