Re: [cicm] Use Cases

"Fitton, John" <jfitton@harris.com> Tue, 20 September 2011 03:54 UTC

From: "Fitton, John" <jfitton@harris.com>
To: CICM Discussion List <cicm@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 03:56:49 +0000
Subject: Re: [cicm] Use Cases

1) The definition of high assurance has absolutely nothing to do with security policy that is being enforced, it is about the measures being taken to enforce whatever the policy requires and the robustness with which the measures are enforced. There is no other "customary connotation".  If  you claim otherwise then provide your sources which substantiate your claim.  Even you refer to "high assurance mechanisms". Please provide your definition of what those are supposed to be and please define what makes them high assurance.  I will also state that there are definitions of what is meant by high assurance, none of which conform to you presumed meaning.

2) Security policy goes way beyond "protecting government secrets" E.g. Financial institutions require high assurance mechanisms that have absolutely nothing to do with protecting government secrets! Their security policy deals with protecting assets (as does the Governments... but the Governments assets are information which may or may not be officially "classified".

3) MILS is definitely not a subset of MLS. In a MILS environment one of the partitions may be MLS all by itself.

MILS is a set of processing environments that are separated by high assurance and trusted mechanisms which ensure the separation of the environments.

4) I think you need to study just what high assurance really means. You view is overly narrow and not consistent.

5) You state the modem must have unclassified IF/RF processes. The modem does not operate in either the IF or RF domain. It provides the input to those domains and processes the information received from those domains. As you should be aware, there are any number of instances (but not all) where the modem code itself is classified. In addition radio modems are parametrically driven engines, and the parameters used to configure and drive those engines are themselves operationally classified until they are used, at which point many are immediately downgraded to unclassified.

6) I can envision many configurations that only require a radio that operates in the SLS mode.  You general supposition that all must be MLS is totally unsupportable.  Such unsupported statements, unfortunately weaken any argument you may put forth. If you want to make such a claim, then provide your supporting rational.

7) You refer to a CICM radio, but the CICM is intended to apply to many situations other than radios defined for use by national military forces.  It is intended to apply to any situation where High Assurance is required. These might be medical records and date, financial data, and any number of other situations.  I f you are concerned with HIgh assurance applications for radios then you might also want to consider those used by state and local law enforcement, or emergency medical services which must transmit extremely sensitive patient information over the air.  The Wireless Innovation Forum has published one document on Security design and architecture guidelines for any type of software based radio, and has just approved an API for Radio Security services to support waveform and application portability across diverse radio platforms. While targeted to those platforms which employ the DoD defined Software Communications Architecture (SCA), there are aspects which could apply to any operating environment.

8) Constructive criticism of a document can be useful, but if you are going to criticize, then at least offer suggested changes with concrete tangible support for your argument.

Unsupported criticism is not useful nor productive.