Re: [cicm] comments on CICM

"David A. McGrew" <david.a.mcgrew@mindspring.com> Wed, 03 August 2011 18:15 UTC

From: "David A. McGrew" <david.a.mcgrew@mindspring.com>
To: CICM Discussion List <cicm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:15:43 -0700
Subject: Re: [cicm] comments on CICM

On Aug 3, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Cottrell Jr., James R. wrote:

> David McGrew,
>
> In your email you stated " Considering that AES-GCM is required for
> Suite B, and the Suite B RFCs
> all cite RFC 5116, the lack of AEAD support appears problematic"
>
> Can you please provide an authoritative document stating this
> requirement?

Let me use TLS as an example.  The AEAD facility in TLS 1.2 is based
on RFC 5116.  For Suite B, RFC 5430 requires RFC 5289, which requires
RFC 5288, which has RFC 5116 as a normative reference.

In the quote above, I said "all".  I may have been wrong on that; I
was rushing to get my comments out before the CICM BoF.  But I stand
by the broader point, which is that support for AEAD would be essential.

David