Re: ISPACs

Tony Li <tli@jnx.com> Sat, 07 December 1996 08:12 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 23:05:24 -0800
From: Tony Li <tli@jnx.com>
To: justin@erols.com
CC: cidrd@iepg.org
Subject: Re: ISPACs

   No, you are missing my point here.  The packets ned to get to the
   interconnect somehow.  There are 2 ways that the packets acn get to the
   interexchange (unless I am missing something very obvious)

   1) The providers who are members of the ISPAC announce the aggregate
   announcement and then route the specific traffic for individual ISPs to the
   interconnect (or over the interconnect, whatever).

   2) The interconnect itself advertisies the aggregate announcement and then
   routes to the ISPAC members.

   Setup 1) leads to the problem of dependancy on your competitors to get your
   traffic from the Internet at large.

   Setup 2) basically makes the interconnect provider your upstream provider,
   the same as Sprint, MCI or UUNET would be.

   What am I missing?  (Please use small words as I am obviously missing what
   you are trying to teach me.)

I was suggesting setup 2, as that would seem to be what you'd be most
comfortable with.  Except that the "interconnect provider" _is_ the ISPAC
administration.  I'm missing why you're uncomfortable with this.

Tony