Re: ISPACs

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ans.net> Fri, 13 December 1996 01:25 UTC

To: Tony Li <tli@jnx.com>
cc: presnick@research.att.com, justin@erols.com, cidrd@iepg.org
Subject: Re: ISPACs
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 18:49:35 -0500
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ans.net>

In message <199612090019.QAA28014@chimp.jnx.com>, Tony Li writes:

>    Tony's answer suggests that an ISPAC is an upstream interconnect provider
>    collectively owned by the downstream ISPs. If I'm interpreting correctly,
>    then the proposal is a purely business innovation, and not a technical one
>    at all. I have no problem with that, but I want to make sure I'm
>    understanding correctly.
>
> Largely yes.  It has some quasi-technical effects, such as address
> allocation to the ISPAC as an organizational entity.
>
> Tony

Which is technically the same as allocation to an upstream provider
which we already have.  So this proposal offers nothing new from a
technical standpoint and is purely a proposal for a business model.
It is a business model that is arguably undesirable from a business
standpoint.  Regardless of whether or not it is a good business model,
RFCs are not the way to propose business models.

Curtis