Re: ISPACs

Tony Li <tli@jnx.com> Sun, 15 December 1996 06:10 UTC

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 17:10:12 -0800
From: Tony Li <tli@jnx.com>
To: presnick@research.att.com
CC: brian@dxcoms.cern.ch, curtis@ans.net, tli@jnx.com, justin@erols.com, cidrd@iepg.org
Subject: Re: ISPACs

   I argue that we need also to include type 3, business innovations that have
   technical implications, such as number portability or scalable routing. It's
   my experience that technical people are often better at understanding
   business concepts than the reverse. As a result, we need to discuss,
   understand, and document the technical implications of business practices,
   rather than leaving these matters purely to the business types.

Paul,

I think that the sole questions is whether type 3 discussions belong in the
IETF.  Frankly, I'm easy about the matter.  The IETF provides a common and
obvious "publishing house".  As the IETF continues to decline, it's only
natural that all interesting relevant work migrate away from the IETF to
more appropriate forums.

So the question isn't "type 3 or not type 3".  The question is "where"?

Tony