Re: [cin] Gentle Reminder

Terry Davis <terry.davis@ijetonboard.com> Tue, 06 November 2012 16:02 UTC

From: Terry Davis <terry.davis@ijetonboard.com>
To: "cin@ietf.org" <cin@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 16:02:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [63.133.204.34]
Subject: Re: [cin] Gentle Reminder

All

Apologies that we didn't get this setup for this meeting here in Atlanta; we plan to be ready for the spring meeting in Orlando.  A couple of us have begun to draft the problem statement and charter which we hope to post in the near future.

For the aviation members of the group, we do have a working paper on aviation cyber security going to the ICAO Air Navigation Commission for presentation at their session later this month.  We seem to have broad support for it from the aviation community:  regulatory bodies, standards bodies, and the major commercial entities.  It is available on their website at:
http://www.icao.int/Meetings/anconf12/WorkingPapers/Forms/AllItems.aspx    (Search the page for "cyber" to find our paper.)

For those of you that didn't hear or see Panetta's warning on cyber war last month, I encourage you to read it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/world/panetta-warns-of-dire-threat-of-cyberattack.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

If anything he may have understated the threats to critical infrastructure around the globe; every nation faces this problem in today's world.

We designed the Internet to be open and usable by everyone.  It has worked so well that our governments and commercial entities have also used it to support the critical infrastructure systems that control besides on communications; our power, our water, our food and medical distribution, hospitals, vehicles, etc.  And now within a few years, the communications to the aircraft that you will be on flying to attend future IETF meetings.

The problem is that we have not created the standards needed for these types of critical services to be placed on the Internet with truly enough security to allow them to be adequately defended from cyber-attacks.

Or even to protect the Internet itself from some of the ways these groups may use it.  During the short life of Connexion by Boeing, we developed routing techniques that allowed passengers to maintain their VPN's without dropping on trans-continental flights handing off between both different satellites and ground stations on different continents.  This worked great for the passengers but with just a 150 aircraft in service; it created routing storms that were responsible for 20% of the churn in the global BGP tables.

There are agreements in place to work on solutions to this problem between the Internet community and the aviation community.  Routing remains a core concern.  Aviation could use different routing protocols but all these come with BGP re-distributors.  Aviation could use only private networks or special routing techniques.  The problem is that this is global service.  Anyone that has ever been involved with large global networks knows that "they are always cross-linked somewhere", someone always violates the approved designs, re-distributed the wrong routing tree, etc.  ICAO has 140+ independent nation/states as members; 140+ independent operators of aviation communications within their borders!   With the current set of standards, can we safely integrated aviation's use of the Internet without risking disruption to the Internet itself?

I remain unconvinced.  And for aviation and these critical infrastructure networks that our lives and our families truly depend on, do we really intend to give them standards to operate with that are "naturally open" to anyone on the globe to try to communicate with?

Look for more soon on the problem statement and charter.

Take care

Terry Davis, P.E.   |   Chief Scientist
terry.davis@ijetonboard.com
o. 206. 805. 6263 c. 425. 503. 5511